Saturday, June 29, 2013

June 26, 2013 Red Rocks Amphitheatre

This morning starts off like all our mornings! Our usual breakfast routine & Otis has to take a walk to the top of the mountain!!! No plans for this morning but tonight......!?!
So that laundry I should have done on the day before we left Mountain Dale....it now  has to be done. Cottonwood RV Park doesn't have laundry facilities, we have to go into town! In a way I was looking forward to going into town because on our drive through town I could see it was a cute,quaint town, a historic town I'm sure. Lennie told me I was going to go to the laundry by myself. I'm not crazy about driving in strange towns(out of my comfort zone) but I was thinking I could poke around in the shops while the laundry is washing/drying!?! For some reason as I got the laundry all gathered up, Len loaded it in the car  then announced, "Otis & I are going with you!" Why I wondered? Maybe he feared my capabilities of driving outside my comfort zone!?! We use to have a washer/dryer in our RV but we took it out to have more storage space!?! I hate doing laundry on the road! I do it almost every day at home so it doesn't build up! So let's get there & get it over with! Lennie & Otis wait outside the laundry while I get the machines loaded & running. It's really not a big job, or a big deal, just a job I rather not do!!! Once it done, we head back Len carries in the laundry & I put it away. Yay, the job is done for another week!
We have lunch & just relax, I'm working on a scarf. We have a big night planned!!! Poor Otis....he's definitely staying home tonight!
We have heard so much about Red Rocks Park & Amphitheatre & tonight we are going there! Not to see a concert, it's a Tuesday night, no concert, but there is a movie, in fact a real classic is playing tonight!?!  Concerts are what Red Rocks is really known for. Big name acts & not so big names all want to perform on the Red Rocks stage. It took 300 million years to create Denver's most scenic attraction & once you step inside this internationally known amphitheatre, you'll understand why Mother Nature took the time!!! The amphitheatre seats 10,000 people! On our way to Cottonwood RV Park, the radio station we had on was advertising the movie that was going to be playing at Red Rocks.You can go to Red Rocks & tour the grounds or just take pictures, we can't believe our luck, & we're anxious to get there & see this classic movie at such a great place!?!
We get to Red Rocks & before we even reach the amphitheatre we can realize how massive it is! The ticket box opens at 5:30pm but we bought our tickets at the King Sooper grocery store after being warned the movie would be a sell out! We proceed to the amphitheatre. The amphitheatre is "Natural" rock, this
is some of the scenery we see as we walk down WAY TOO MANY steps !
more scenery!
Finally the ushers let us in! We are really early for the movie. We saw people tailgating out in the parking lot, & those who weren't tailgating were "picnicking" at there seats!When we first sat down there was probably about 50 people!

Much to our surprise, besides the movie, they had 2 musical groups & a comedienne appearing. They had to have some kind of entertainment while we waited for it to get dark enough to show the movie!!!! Both groups we had never heard of, they were from Denver. The first group was okay, they played 3 songs & were somewhat Bluesy.
The next group, they too played 3 songs, but don't ask me what type of music it was, all I know it wasn't my type of music!!!

Then the comedienne came out. His name is Josh Blue. He has cerebral palsy, & his condition was the brunt of most of his jokes, & in spite of that....he was funny!I guess people weren't laughing at him, but with him!?!

                                    The seats are definitely filling up!
& it's finally dark enough to show the movie!

         & just what was that GREAT classic we were all waiting for?????
The Blues Brothers-On a Mission from God!!!
This is such an old movie, I can't even count how many times Len & I have seen it before, not to mention we have the DVD!?! People just cheered throughout the movie like it was the first time they were watching it!?! It was great!!! It was close to midnight when we left! The Super Moon was out there big as life!

Lennie had told his "spoiled" dog that he'd bring him a McDoubles on our way back home. This late at night I feared Lennie was going to have to break his promise to Otis! But luck would have it, the McDonalds in Idaho Springs is open 24 hours! Otis wasn't the only one getting a treat, this time we each got a sandwich!!
                          Our sandwich eaten & straight to be for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment