Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 10-12, 2013 Visiting with the Gillihans!!!!

We  are in the tourist town of Pinetop/Lakeside, Az. It's hard to tell where Pinetop stops & Lakeside begins so they are more or less combined. Lennie's cousin, Andy Gillihan, wife Barb, & two kids, Samantha & Adam, oh & I can't forget the pug, Bella!!! They live in Pinetop. It's so nice to go somewhere & actually know someone! Thank goodness for family!
The house where they live is in a subdivision of mainly summer homes. The Gillihan's are one of a few families in the subdivision that live there all year round!
It's an interesting area here. Both Andy & Barb hold jobs on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. Andy at the White River USPH Indian Hospital in an admistrative position & Barb teaches jr high at McNary Elementary School, grades K-8th. We were given a tour of the reservation which I was really anxious to see, until I saw how the people live???? I was saddened to see the conditions they live in, then I realized they choose to live that way. It's still sad, they have such a proud heritage to carry on, but they  live they don't care?????
We had a busy 3 days with the Gillihans. Andy & Barb took us to a wonderful Lodge Restaurant called Molly Butler. The special of the night was talapia, my favorite fish, only I didn't read on the menu, served WHOLE! Boy was I surprised when this fish arrived on my plate still wearing his tail & fins! Good thing they removed the head!!! Unfortunately most our visit I recorded on video. Too bad I didn't have the camera handy when the fish arrived.That was definitely a Kodak moment!!! On our way back home from the restaurant, it was dark outside & we saw ELK! The Gillihan's did their best at showing us around their town, restaurants, & the reservation. Eating wasn't all we did! On Mother's Day we joined them at their Church, Calvary Chapel for Mother's Day service & guess what.....after church we went out to lunch at  Grumpy Jakes for barbecue!
The restaurant was close to our RV park, so after lunch they came over to see our "Home away from Home"!
Then we all went back over to the Gillihan's. Did I mention we had PIZZA for dinner!?! I think we all enjoyed ourselves except poor Otis!!!! Otis did not want to socialize with Bella & Otis certainly didn't want Bella socializing with us!
On Friday the 10th while Andy & Barb were both working, Lennie & I went on a self guided driving tour (Lennie!) of Salt River Canyon. We packed a picnic lunch but there was NO PLACE to picnic???? We finally just pulled into a turnout & had a tailgate picnic!
Even if  Salt River Canyon didn't have a picnic area, it did have scenery!
All too soon our visit with the Gillihan's in Pinetop, Az ended. It was time to say "good-bye" to all as tomorrow we head to Utah!
PS. If you're reading this.....you can thank Barb Gillihan,
she's the one that gave me blogging
                    lessons that I could understand! Thanks again Barb!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment