Sunday, May 19, 2013

May 13th-20th 2013 Kanab,Utah

As we crossed the Utah state line we had 28 miles to our destination of Kanab,Utah.
The drive in was just beautiful,the mountains looked just like a setting from out of a Cowboy Western movie!!!

We are staying at the Kanab RV Corral

This was the view from our RV site!
And.....this was the first time since leaving Florida that we actually had to turn the A/C on for awhile after setting up & I am NOT complaining! By the time we are done with dinner the A/C is no longer necessary. We open the windows, there's a nice breeze blowing, aaah...this is nice!!!We are within walking distance of a Pizza Hut! I thought that might be a problem! I didn't want to be able to smell the aroma of pizza & give in to temptation, not yet anyhow!?! Okay time to relax a bit before heading to bed. Tomorrow we explore Utah!
Today's a new day & guess what!?! I am wearing a sleeveless shirt & shorts! Another first since leaving Florida!We wanted to get to Utah before the weather here was too hot to enjoy, so far, this is perfect weather!!! Our sightseeing begins in Lake Powell & marina along with Glen Canyon Dam.Lake Powell offers some of the finest opportunities for water recreation in the world.It is the second largest man-made lake in the United States.
Glen Canyon Dam holds the water in place for recreation & also serves as a major water source for a number of states downstream.
Our first day of sightseeing in Utah & already my eyes are overwhelmed, I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Lennie told me the purpose of this blog is NOT to bore people. He told me to pick my favorite pictures to post. I find that to be an impossible task!I could take a thousand pictures & still not run out of scenery & he wants me to pick my favorite pictures!?! 
Today we are getting our eyes full at Bryce Canyon & Kodachrome Basin. Bryce Canyon is 77 miles past Kanab, a drive well worth it. It's a National Park,we have definitely gotten our money's worth out of Lennie's National Park pass! It was Bryce Canyon where I got my introduction to HOODOOS, the spiral rock formations that stand alone.I have too many pictures of Bryce Canyon, but I think you get a good idea of the beauty offered there from this picture!?!
Kodachrome Basin is a State Park, therefore our National Park pass didn't work, but  being "Seniors" we still got a break in price!!!
Kodachrome Basin wasn't Bryce Canyon, but it was still impressive & we want to see everything we can while in this area.
The fact we are traveling with Otis is sometimes a real hindrance!!! In some of the parks he's only "allowed" on certain trails, sometimes he's not allowed at all. When he's not allowed, weather permitting, we'll pick a short trail. So far the weather has been where we can leave Otis in the car, windows cracked while we enjoy the scenery.Our eyes are full, but tomorrow they will be refreshed, ready for another day!
Today we are visiting BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SOCIETY.
It is just 5 miles north of Kanab & operates the largest NO-KILL sanctuary for companion animals in the United States, in operation for over 25 years. It is a HUGE complex & cares for over 1700 animals & I'm not talking just dogs & cats! They have horses,mules,llamas,pot bellies pigs,birds,ducks, well you get the picture!?! Otis would have been allowed except...he would have had to stay in the van at all times(no potty break)....we left him back at the RV! The van tour showed us all the property including the pet cemetery, that is also open to the public. We made stops at the cat houses, & my favorite.....the DOG houses!!
I wanted to keep this little guy!
The property, called Angel Canyon, is not just a pet sanctuary, it has also been used in the filming of several western films including the Disney  film, One Little Indian. The tour was free, donation gladly accepted & adoptions
always wanted!

The "Road to Adventure" is not all just about the adventure! Once a week I find myself doing things I don't like! After our fun filled tour at Best Friends I was faced with my "favorite" task,,,,,LAUNDRY!!!! Tomorrow promises another day, so I get this menial chore out of the way knowing tomorrow there's more beautiful scenery to be seen!!
And so it is! Today we drive 70 miles or so back into Arizona to see the GRAND CANYON!
We've been to the Grand Canyon a few times in our travels but never the North Rim. As long as we're this close we didn't want to miss it & hey we have that National Park pass!!! We packed a picnic lunch & away we went! The North Rim opened for the season on May 15th, we were viewing it on the 17th. The North Rim, at 8,000 feet above sea level has a longer winter season.We could still see some patches of snow in the park.The North Rim receives less than 15% of the total visitor traffic to the Grand Canyon??? On our drive into the park we saw lots of deer, a typical sight in a park. We also saw a coyote, & tho I grabbed the camera, & took aim, Mr Coyote would not cooperate & pose for me!
If you look closely you can see that's a coyote!!!
Once again we had Mr Otis with us, so we had to choose short trails, but let me tell you, some of those short trails really left me huffing & puffing. Good thing I had Lennie to clear the way for me!
We're glad we came to view the North Rim, it truly was memorable!
And talk about a picnic with a  view!
Even Otis enjoyed sight seeing....or did he!?!
Heading back to the RV. I wonder what we'll do tomorrow?????
We've been staying in the town of Kanab & haven't even seen the town!!?! Today Lennie & I are walking downtown Kanab & sorry Otis...you're staying at the RV!!! We discovered that Kanab,Utah is famously known for the many movies & TV series shot here beginning in the 1920s & the latest 2012.Many of my childhood favorites were filmed here including, Gunsmoke,The Lone Ranger,Wagon Train, & Lassie just to mention a few!They have a Free museum in Kanab to pay tribute to the many movies filmed here!
We got a big kick out of the museum, it even had a little western movie scene set.
After checking out the town of Kanab we walked back to the RV park & returned to Otis. Now Otis is soooooo spoiled that there are times when he doesn't like to be left home alone & he lets us know that by...... causing pillow destruction!?! He does this at our home too!
This weekend, there was a small carnival in Kanab. It was set up adjacent to our RV park. We could see the rides & hear the screams of delight from our RV site. Lennie kept saying he was going to sneak over to the carnival to get himself a corn dog but he never did!
Four years ago when we first bought our RV, Lennie said he wanted to visit every state possible to drive to. (That only leaves Hawaii out!) We applied the Utah state sticker to our travel map making it the last of the states we hadn't visited by RV.
Mission Accomplished!!!!
We are done visiting Kanab, but we are not done with Utah just yet!!
Sunday the 19th was a day of loafing for us.We enjoyed our first time in Utah & especially the sight seeing in this area. Tomorrow we head out for another Utah location. Where??? You'll just have to wait & see!?!

2 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous and informative blog. The photography is superb. Tell Lennie I'm not bored LOL. How lucky you are to be able to travel like this and see all these incredible vistas. And, I'm lucky that you are sharing this with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that this one most fabulous pictures for sure it more fun here.

    Photos of Kanab

    ReplyDelete